• Nearly 4 million veteran households pay more than 30% of income for housing.
• More than 1.5 million of these households pay more than 50% of income for housing (severe cost burden).
• Nearly 1 million veterans who own homes are severely cost burdened, despite having access to VA loans and other assistance.
• A substantial subset of veterans struggle economically. Approximately 1.4 million veterans (6.7%) live in poverty.
Habitat for Humanity builds homes and hope for veterans and active military in the Mid-Willamette Valley.
Habitat for Humanity is looking for volunteers to serve on the Heroes with Heart Committee and participate in construction.
To donate to this program or for more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for homeownership through this program call us at 503-364-6642 and ask for Heather.
- Active Military Status, Honorable Discharge or the Survivor of a Veteran
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident
- Cannot have owned a home during the past 3 years
- Currently living in sub-standard, subsidized, overcrowded or unaffordable housing
- Must be willing to contribute 500 volunteer “sweat equity” hours (300 hours for households with 1 adult)
- Must have proof of steady income sufficient to repay 0% APR mortgage and satisfactory credit history
- Must be within income limits (see www.salemhabitat.org for more information)
Capitalize on skill sets gained from military service with recruitment targeting veterans as Habitat for Humanity international/local affiliate employees, board members and extended volunteers, national service members, interns and fellows.
Engage military members, veterans, families, veterans’ groups and all military supporters in volunteer programs and veteran-related advocacy.
Provide simple, decent and affordable housing solutions for military, veterans and their families.
Promote cultural competency for Habitat affiliates engaging military and veterans and provide access to financial literacy and homeownership education programs.
Host regular slate of events highlighting veteran housing needs and honoring their service. Target dates include the 9/11 Day of Service, MLK Day and Veterans Day.