The Habitat for Humanity Homeownership Program provides a unique opportunity for hardworking families to “build and buy” their own homes. Houses are sold to new homeowners at no profit (0% APR). Home payments vary. Mortgage loan principal payments help pay for the construction of future homes in the Mid-Willamette Valley.
Our affiliate builds homes in Salem, Keizer, Stayton, Lyons, Aumsville, Mill City, Mehama, Sublimity, Turner, Dallas, Independence, and Monmouth. If you are interested in purchasing a Habitat home elsewhere, contact the Habitat affiliate in your area.
Applications for our next Homeownership Program will be open October 1st to November 30th, 2020. Please check back for future application opportunities.
For any questions, please contact Kattrina Osborn at 503-364-6642 or Kattrina@salemhabitat.org
Applications are currently unavailable. Please check our Facebook for updates on our Homeownership Program. A Spanish version will be available. We will add you to our prospective homeowners list and contact you when we will be reviewing applications.
Application Information meetings are held prior to each round of selection for the Home-ownership Program. At the Application Information Meeting we will distribute Home-ownership Program applications and discuss:
- Habitat 101- Who We Are & What We Do
- The Home-ownership Program (benefits, qualifications, requirements, where we build, Habitat for Humanity mortgages and home payments)
- How to Complete an Application Form
- How Applicants Are Selected
- What to Expect if You Are Selected
Application Meeting Dates
In-Person meetings are being held at the Habitat Warehouse, located at the Habitat Office (1220 12th St SE) and are expected to last one hour:
- Saturday, 10/10/2020 at 11 am and 1 pm
- Saturday, 10/24/2020 at 11 am and 1 pm
- Saturday, 11/7/2020 at 11 am and 1 pm
Virtual meetings will be held on Zoom and expected to last one hour, please email Katt to register and get the link:
- Monday, 10/5/2020 at 6 pm
- Wednesday, 10/14/2020 at 6 pm
- Friday, 10/30/2020 at 6 pm
- Monday, 11/9/2020 at 6 pm
- Must be a United States citizen or permanent legal resident
- Must live in our affiliate service area for at least 12 months (click here to verify your zip code is in our service area)
- Cannot have owned a home during the past 3 years
- Cannot have a bankruptcy discharged within the past 3 years
- Currently living in sub-standard, subsidized, overcrowded or unaffordable housing
- Must be willing to contribute 500 volunteer hours – “sweat equity” (300 hours for households with 1 adult)
- Must have proof of steady income sufficient to repay a mortgage and satisfactory credit history
- Must be within 30% to 80% of the Marion County median household income
The selection of applicants who will purchase homes from Habitat for Humanity of the Mid-Willamette Valley is managed by the Family Selection Committee in a way that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, or national origin or because all or part of the applicant’s income is derived from public assistance programs.